Sunday, April 29, 2012

Portabella Mushroom Pizzas

I have always been a big fan of Rachael Ray, but her recipes aren't always the most figure flattering ones:)  Lately I've been trying to stray away from pasta and bread to help get rid of these last 10 baby pounds that seemed to just stay put.  The lower carb thing was hard for me in the beginning, but has challenged me to think outside of the box and research new recipes!  My husband and Lilly wanted spaghetti one night so I decided to find a recipe that could meet what they wanted, but could also help me stick to my low carb plan.  These portabella mushroom pizzas are DELICIOUS!!  I made mine exactly as the recipe describes, but put the sausage stuffing on top of spaghetti for Tony and Lilly.  Enjoy!


Portabella Mushroom Pizzas
Photo and Recipe courtesty of Rachael Ray
Picture of Portobello Pizzas Recipe

Ingredients

  • 6 large portobello mushroom tops, stems removed and gills scraped
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling plus 1 tablespoon
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound Italian sweet sausage (I used sweet Italian chicken sausage from Sprouts)
  • 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/2 cup basil leaves, shredded or torn
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmigiano

Directions

Preheat broiler.

Dress the mushroom caps with liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil the portobello mushrooms 5 minutes on each side until tender.

While caps are broiling heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat, add sausage and brown and crumble the meat, then add tomatoes to skillet and cook another few minutes until they burst. Add cream to skillet and reduce 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove the sausage from heat and fold in basil. Fill mushroom caps and top with cheese, place under broiler to brown 2 to 3 minutes then quarter caps and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment